Wednesday 27 March 2013

Book review: Looking For Alaska - John Green

This post is brought to you by my very own, very brand new (and very expensive) 13'' MacBook Pro, hooray!



"Looking for Alaska" is a story that propels the reader into a whole new mindset, it shows a different perception on life and death and connects with the reader on a deep, emotional level.

The story follows the junior year of a boy named Miles Halter who decides to leave his home and school in Florida, to attend a prep school in Alabama, in order to find his "Great Perhaps" before he dies. 

Like any other typical teenage life story, Miles makes new friends, gets introduced to the "bad things" in life, such as smoking and drinking. He also finds love in an emotionally unstable, yet "most beautiful girl he's ever seen", Alaska Young. As tragedy strikes, he and his roommate and new best friend, Chip "The Colonel" Martin, take it upon themselves to unravel the mystery that is Alaska Young. 

The book ends with Miles' religion paper, which in my opinion, is the pinnacle point of the entire novel. 

"Looking for Alaska" is beautifully written and truly moving, John Green is undoubtedly a very talented writer with a knack for excellent one liners. 

I also recommend you do not read this while on a packed train on the way home from college, because if you're like me and you get way too emotionally attached to fictional characters, you will sob and no one on a full train wants to see a teenage girl clutching a novel to her chest, crying her eyes out. Not only because of the devastation, but because the true message of the story resonates through your heart and mind.

 Yes, yes it is one of those stories that causes you heart ache, but hey! At least it will enlighten you on how a personal bad experience can result in a person's new outlook on life, death, life after death and most importantly the labyrinth that is pain and suffering and how to escape it.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your blog! Although I have no idea what I am doing on here yet, I shall try and work out how to follow you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Means a lot, I'll follow you back xx

      Delete
  2. this is one of my all time favourite books - ive only recently jumped on this john green loving bandwagon but i love him!! currently making my way through an abundance of katherines and its so good - but really different to his others! :) GREAT review!
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first John Green book I've completed so far, I'm now half-way through "The Fault In Our Stars". He is utterly brilliant.

      Thank you so much! xx

      Delete